This week the Government released new guidelines for businesses in the UK advising them on the steps needed to ensure their business premises are COVID Secure. We take a look at the guidance and offer practical solutions for achieving its aims. So far the there have been ten individual guides released but more are expected as more businesses are able to return to the workplace. So far the guides cover the following settings; education and childcare, public transport operators, construction and other outdoor work, factories, plants and warehouses, labs and research facilities, offices and contact centres, other peoples homes, restaurants offering takeaway or delivery, shops and branches and vehicles.
In addition to the detailed sector guides above the Government has also issued five overarching steps that it requires all businesses to take to ensure they are working safely during the coronavirus pandemic. These are:
1. Carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment. This can be completed by businesses themselves, but there are also risk assessors you can commission to complete the assessment for you. If carry out your own risk assessment the HSE recommend you should consider the following;
- Identify what work activity or situations might cause transmission of the virus
- Think about who could be at risk
- Decide how likely it is that someone could be exposed
- Act to remove the activity or situation, or if this isn’t possible, control the risk.